Packaged wastewater systems use media and mechanical parts to enhance the treatment of domestic wastewater. They require a polishing filter to allow for further treatment of the wastewater and to convey the treated wastewater to groundwater. These systems should be certified to specific performance criteria and may be suitable in areas where a septic tank is not acceptable.
Many systems are available on the market and include the following generic treatment processes:
- Activated sludge (incl. extended aeration)systems
- Biological/Submerged aerated filter (BAF/SAF) systems
- Rotating biological contactor (RBC)systems
- Sequencing batch reactor (SBR) systems
- Peat filter media systems
- Plastic, textile and other media systems
- Membrane bioreactor (MBR) systems.